The West Campus House Council System invites inquiries, nominations, and applications for the position of house professor and dean for Flora Rose House, beginning in July 2018.
The mission of the West Campus House System is to create an environment that links the residential life of students to the academic mission of the university. Each of the West Campus houses, named after a legendary Cornell faculty member, comprises a community of approximately 350 upper-level students. Pivotal to the intellectual and social leadership of each house is the house professor and dean, a tenured faculty member who lives in the house, in a three-bedroom apartment, with their immediate family. The house professor and dean works in close partnership with the house assistant dean. In addition, some thirty house fellows play an active role in the ongoing programs of each house.
The application process will be managed in two steps and the review process will begin upon receipt of nominations due on November 11, 2016.
In this section:
- Call from Provost Michael I. Kotlikoff for nominations for house professor and dean (pdf)
- Position Description (pdf)
Nominations and applications should be directed to Cathi Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the search, the house professor and dean position, or West Campus generally, or would like to attend a West Campus House program, please feel free to contact Rebecca Stoltzfus (email@example.com), vice provost for undergraduate education; Ethan Stephenson (firstname.lastname@example.org), director, faculty living-learning programs; or any of the current house professors and deans, as follows:
- Carl Becker House – Ed Baptist, house professor and dean, email@example.com
- Hans Bethe House – Julia Thom-Levy, house professor and dean, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alice Cook House – Shorna Allred, house professor and dean, email@example.com
- William Keeton House – Steven Jackson, house professor and dean, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Flora Rose House – Garrick Blalock, house professor and dean, email@example.com
Open Houses for Interested Faculty
Three house professors and deans are offering interested faculty the opportunity to visit West Campus and meet current house professors and deans, house fellows, and students. You can join the house professor and deans for receptions in their apartments with their house fellows at 5 p.m., followed by a house dinner with students and house fellows in the dining room at 6 p.m.
- If you would like to attend a reception and dinner in Keeton House on Wednesday, October 19, please RSVP to Keeton House professor and dean Steven Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- f you would like to attend a reception and dinner in Rose House on Wednesday, November 2, please RSVP to Rose House professor and dean Garrick Blalock at email@example.com.
- If you would like to attend a reception and dinner in Bethe House on Wednesday, November 9, please RSVP to Bethe House professor and dean Julia Thom-Levy at firstname.lastname@example.org.